DEKRA i2i Remote Inspection Tool
We were approached by DEKRA in 2014 when they had a broad idea of what claims processing would look like in the future. They required a digitalisation partner who would help define their broad idea into a concrete solution plan and eventual project.
Modern video solution for a global enterprise
DEKRA is the global market leader when it comes to knowledge based services such as damage expertise and claims management through testing, inspection and certification. They have more than 35,000 employees in more than 50 countries. Our solutions help them achieve results in Insurance, Automotive, Loss Adjustment and Certification
If you want to revolutionize your market, you need to constantly analyze what you do, think about new improvements, and turn them into reality. DEKRA did exactly that in 2014 and they are still doing that today. They imagined a modern solution that would allow them to inspect damages remotely, process more claims faster, and be easy to use for both their agents and end-customers. What they recognised is that they needed to find a partner who would help them develop this idea into a project plan and eventually into a reality. The reality was called DEKRA i2i.
But let’s start from the beginning.
And in the beginning, there were… ideas, lots of ideas!
In our first meeting in 2014 we sat down and listened to the ideas that DEKRA had for their business. It was clear they wanted to stand-out from the crowd with an innovative and first of its kind remote claims & inspection tool. A solution that was both easy to use and full of functionalities to support multiple use cases. A solution that was solid yet scalable. A branded experience for their end customers whilst enabling white-label options for DEKRA partners and sister companies. And the list went on!
However, one first requirement was clear. End customers needed to easily use the end solution. That’s why the solution had to be easy to use and supported on all devices. On top of that, the solution was intended to report and inspect damages – something that their customers obviously don’t do daily. That being the case, they didn’t want their customers to download any apps (why download something, if you’re only going to use it once). This meant we had our first project requirement – the solution had to be WebRTC enabled and work on any device that connects to the Internet.
After a first meeting we scheduled a 5-day in-depth workshop. Time to critically analyse their ideas, ask questions, research and draft the first project requirements. It also gave us time to better understand their vision and targets of success.
Identifying core functionalities
Through good conversation we identified with DEKRA that the following functionalities needed to be a part of the solution.
- Show geo-localisation of participants
- Take HQ Pictures
- Have a Video Recording Function
- Annotate on screen
- Be built on REST API for integration purposes
- Be flexible to add new features in the future
What DEKRA wanted to achieve with their solution?
We also understood that in order to build a solid software solution we needed to analyse and dissect the use cases they wanted to achieve. During our workshop we learnt a lot about their business cases, current processes and identified areas where the software solution could offer high-value gains. These included:
- Loss Adjustment
- Remote Claims
- Remote Inspections
- Damage appraisals
- Remote certification
- Remote auditing
We know what the goal is. But what about the challenges?
As with any good partner after understanding their goals and identifying the core functionalities, we deep-dived into what are the challenges from both a technical and business perspective. There were numerous challenges to overcome. Starting with:
- Ideation: DEKRA needed a partner which could help turn their idea (and future ideas) into solid project plans.
- Video Engine: Research what’s the best, secure, reliable and high-quality video engine.
- Compliancy: Solution had to be compliant with mobile devices from different vendors
- WebRTC: We don’t want to create a mobile app. We need to create a WebRTC tool, that would be supported on all the devices without the need to download.
- Easy to use: Make the tool simple for the customer and DEKRA agents, so that they have no problem with using it.
- Multi-lingual: Since the vision is to expand the solution across the globe we needed to have the option to easily add new languages as well as start off the base solution with English, German, Dutch and French.
- 24/7 Global Support: The goal is for DEKRA to offer this solution to all departments in all countries – this includes a good support system.
- Global Deployment of resources to minimise latency & meet local requirements
- Centrally managed by DEKRA Service Division: DEKRA Service Division wanted to maintain control and manage the solution internally, this meant we recommended a structure by which they could monitor real-time the usage, users as well as have monthly meetings with Yameo to discuss any issues, new changes and for us to suggest possible new features & functionalities.
- Real-time monitoring of usage and quality: A real-time dashboard to monitor usage, users and to ensure quality throughout.
- Solution architecture to support continual development: With DEKRA looking towards the near and long-term future they made clear that continual development and new features would be a key of their solution. This would be a stark contrast to off-the-shelf video inspection solutions where you aren’t in control of the development.
- REST API: Using REST API’s we would offer integrations with DEKRA systems.
- Secure Storage Options: Offering various storage options so that despite the solution being used in multiple countries, each entity can store data according to the national regulations of their country.
- Branding & Custom Notifications: Extensive branding for end-customers so they know they are dealing with DEKRA.
The Solution: DEKRA i2i
A WebRTC video solution called DEKRA i2i was born with features supporting multiple use cases across industries and countries. The DEKRA Expert can initiate video sessions with customers, field agents and partners using simple SMS and or E-mail messages containing a link. The solution is deployed in over 20 DEKRA countries and 25 different departments with hundreds of DEKRA experts using the solution on a daily basis.
Discover how DEKRA uses the DEKRA i2i video solution worldwide
We work with IT companies a lot, and many of those big IT and software companies promise everything and it ends up being a disaster in the end. I have never had that experience with Yameo as they always deliver on what they promise, and it is always for good money.
Yameo effectively supports our needs and ideas. If we come up with ideas for innovative solutions, they help us translate them into opportunities — they do this quite fast. Overall, the support that we receive from them in this rapidly changing market is outstanding. The feedback of our internal and external stakeholders proves that.
Technologies we use
The benefits of a Long-Term partnership
5 lessons from 9 years of building software for DEKRA and what you can take out of it.
Over the last 9 years, we had an opportunity to provide solutions for them, which gave a lot of satisfaction on both sides. DEKRA is a company that seeks out innovation and isn’t afraid to take a step into the unknown. As a software development partner, it’s been a pleasure to work with the passionate and enthusiastic people at the DEKRA Service Division. Read on…
We want to work with you!
Let us prove that we are the best choice you can have. Just one call with us might solve many of your IT problems and you will gain a Trusted Tech Partner for years, not months.Get in touch